Tuesday 23 June 2009

Surely you're joking Miss Das

Well I know..I know..its the exact similar thing as the famous vintage book called, "Surely you're joking Mr.Feynman", but that is the perfect headline to my article!
I know that while writing about myself and my idiosyncrasies might come of as a bit self obsessed but then the whole point of having a blog is to put out things that are out of the ordinary or that entertains its readers well that's exactly what I'm about to do!

As a kid when we got to learn geometry, I learnt that a triangle is a closed figure formed of three sides. So when the innumerable Hindi movies arrived with the so called 'love triangle' I failed to understand how it was a triangle. I'll explain why I'm saying this. Suppose A & B are guys and C is a girl. So A loves C, C loves B and B reciprocates then its just two sides lying in the limitless space, it can only be a triangle if A loves C, C loves B and B loves A. For that to happen, B needs to be homosexual or bisexual which would not be allowed to be shown by the censor board of India back in the days of the time that I am referring to.Any suggestion to clear out my life long doubt is most welcome!

Another thing that has always confused me is the difference between shirts and T-shirts. I can never get it right as to which one is which! Again, I'll explain why I portray it as such a difficult thing. For me formal shirts are more likely to be called T-shirts. Look at the diagram and you'll know the psyche behind it.



Once I was teaching my cousin who was in kindergarten or something similarly small..LOL.. Anyhow, he failed to understand the difference between bus and truck. Tired of logical explanations I drew a bus and made faces in its windows and said that ,"See buses carry people,trucks carry goods". He understood and I was feeling extremely jubilant with my accomplishment so I went out with him for a simple stroll. It was during Chatt or some similar festival, so people were loaded on trucks and going somewhere and he pointed at one of the trucks and said ,"See,see..that's a bus". End of my teaching background, never tried to teach anybody anything again!

When I was really young, the thing that was causing the buzz on TV were these ALL-OUT advertisements! They used to show a normal mat holder v/s ALL-OUT as a competition of which one consumes more mosquitoes. And the ALL-OUT machine sprang all over the place to gobble each and every one of them. I went up to my parents and said that I wanted to buy an ALL-OUT machine. When asked why, I told them that how it pounced around to kill mosquito and I thought it'd be fun to watch something jump around to kill mosquitoes they simply laughed. I was later told that it actually didn't jump around I was pretty sad!

My dad was teaching me science in my IVth or Vth standard and we came down to physical properties of materials. He went on about conductors and non conductors, seeing me totally dazed by these words he paused and asked ,"you do know what conductors and non-conductors are right"? I very confidently replied ," Of course I do,the guy who is at the gate of the bus and gives us tickets is the conductor and the person whose driving the bus or the driver is the non conductor". They laugh till date just thinking of it!

"That's all folks"!

5 comments:

  1. Awesome post!
    Had a good laugh reading this. Actually, a few things here are worth wondering, like the diff between Shirt n T-Shirt...Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes.. "see. that's a bus" LOLZ.. can be quite an impediment to 'young' teachers! :P

    and I never knew abt the conductor vs non-conductor story.. quite an entertaining read..

    PS- where'd you get the 'Tshirt' diagram?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @svk: food fr thought u c!
    @gvs: try formal shirt search on google images!

    ReplyDelete