Tuesday 27 October 2009

A thousand glimpses

It really is a rather rare emotion that a grandchild and her grandparents share. The abundance by which one gets pampered, the various perks that one receives, the amount of attention and love that's sought out for them and last but not the least..the home made goodness bound to perfection that are made, especially for them! Ah! Priceless is an understatement.
I have not had the good fortune of meeting my grandfather(s), but whenever I think about my good old childhood days, I see many a memories I shared with Dida (maternal grandmother)- be it in the form of the piece of brownie she saved that my mum got for her in the first place, be it how she used to make the ice cream vendor stop every time it used to cross the house and how our entire family including Pacco (the golden retriever dog I had as a child) would cool off with some treats, how she used to get me to post a million mails to mama (maternal uncle) and other gazillion things.
My favourite memory associated with her has to be that, as a child whenever I used to get tired of studying I used to sneak away from my mum's eagle eye vision and go and crash on her belly; while she swayed me from side to side. Although when ma used to realise that I have sneaked out (yet again!), it used to fetch me quite a long lecture which was worth every syllable of scolding which was (then) being efficiently rendered! :)
I lost my grandmother to cancer and she finally expired suffering an agonising death in the year 1998. All I really felt bad was that she couldn't live to see the next millennium (Remember the Y2K hype?) but I was glad that at long last she rested in peace. I guess so was my family.
Last month, it was 11 years since she had passed away; but I couldn't bereave her death as it also clashed with my Visa interview date. Its funny how a woman gets all caught up with life and its mortal issues.
Today in a land far far away from home I pay my respects to her. While I remember the awesome-est moments that I have shared with her it doesn't make one immune to quiver and turn misty eyed to go through the memories borne for a long lost and mostly, beloved family member. But what I do know, is that while I post my emotions on the WWW she's out there with a smile on her face, a smile that bears warmth like rays of Sun on a chilly Monday morning. If she saw me right now her chest would swell with pride with the fact that I know alphabets enough to write an article. She would then mollify me and say,
"Do not stand at my grave and weep,
I am not there, I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glint on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn rain.

When you wake in the morning hush,
I am the swift, uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circling flight.
I am the soft starlight at night.

Do not stand at my grave and weep.
I am not there, I do not sleep.
Do not stand at my grave and cry.
I am not there, I did not die."

Courtsey:Mary Elizabeth Frye

R.I.P. Dida.