Sunday 31 December 2017

3....2....1.....Happy..eh, whatever!

So, it's the eve of 2018, AKA good bye 2017, AKA the most universalized materialistic phenomenon where everyone celebrates the end of the year by spending as much as their pockets can afford.
My long time readers, or people who know me in real life know my hatred for this day as it leads to overcrowded streets, cafes, restaurants; in fact it should just be renamed as Happy Overcrowded day, but I digress.
As man made as this holiday/ritual is, it always causes me anxiety. Another year over? Did I really get nothing done? Am I really just floating through time like that? And, like everyone I know, I too spare no acidity when judging myself. Because if John & Yoko can sing about it ("..so this is Christmas and what have you done. another year over, for the old and the young.."), I guess its not more of a millennial problem, but more of a human's problem with accepting the concept of fleeting time and mortality.
My generation while we have achieved great heights, we are also the generation that takes pride in "doing nothing". It's a shared hurrah moment when we brag to our co-breathers, "This weekend we had planned to do nothing, and we did nothing." There is a soar of jealousy across the room, and those who did something or could not achieve the nothing status, almost always felt jealous of the folks who did nothing. And really, why is that? We are far less overworked than our parents, who tirelessly worked their hineys off to provide and care for us better, everyday. Yet, here we are, bragging about doing nothing.
I think that's the part that scares me every new year's eve, that I am losing my leverage of running away and shirking my responsibilities, that in this race of responsibility vs. me, responsibility is fast catching up to me. But who started this race? Why are we running? When will it be over? All answers lie in my subconscious and how I have been brought up, really. Where when you are of a certain age, you get married, get a house, get a dog, "settle down". And perhaps that is what tires me, because I am only at step 1 of many. I am also afraid, that everyone I know and I am effected by is also blinded by the same markers of growth/success.

But that's the second thing that's wrong with "this" self-assessment. These are markers that worked for generations that preceded us. Our generation has done everything to their time and tide, and has taken very minimal heed to "..hamare zamane mein..", so maybe, just maybe we need to set newer and better milestones to be judged/estimated by.
More women have actively pursued a career post completing their education, more men have been accepting and accomodating of that, men share the responsibility of taking care of their new-borns and are not just limited to paying the bills, we pursue more vibrant hobbies. We definitely travel more and are more open to doing new things and differently and how!

Well, what the hell! Happy new year to you all! Hope you all keep coming back to enjoy my ramblings and cherish some of the good points that I sometimes do make.

Hope you have a great year ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment