Sunday 31 December 2017

That time of madness

Thanks to a lot of things, I turned into a runner.

I started running, a bit by bit. Then one day I decided, and did my first 10k. I loved it. Group sport activity, "WOW! What a rush." I've never been much for sports or activities or anything. I then took up a 10k race a month.

It was March, and I was revisiting my 2016 resolutions. I secretly pined to do a half marathon by the end of the year. I told no one, let no one breath out my zest for it, because for whatever reason far more number of people will demotivate you to be a poorer version of them, than inspire you to be the best version of you. Whatever that "half-glass-full-of-poison" psychology is.

I guess the silent screams are the loudest, and the universe answered. A random soul pinged me, to join the Half marathon training that his training club was conducting, I joined without much hesitation.

Training meant discipline. And I have never done anything disciplined, ever!

This isn't about my journey. It's about the discliplined approach I undertook to make sure I am my best self when I hit the race.

Before every race I forget what makes it a perfect preparation, this is so that I can keep referring to it. maybe modify as I rediscover things on my journey.

  • 36 hours prior to the race: Eat a carbo heavy dinner, sleep really late. So that the next day it's easier to sleep early.



  • 24 hours prior to the race: Don't step out of the house. Don't go anywhere. Stay indoors. Laze on the terrace, read a book, do whatever, but do not step out!
  • Diet: Eat carbo & antioxidant rich foods. Low on fat and protein. Avoid cheese and all dairy.
  • Get your next day kit ready - Bib, pins, water belt, dry fruits, wet tissues, hand sanitizer, dark chocolate, a change of clothes, slippers, gatorade, stand-up&pee kit, cap, wrist bands, a small microtowel (light to carry, dries easy), deodorant. Decide where you would go for breakfast post run. Carry protein powder.
  • Apparel ready: If it's winter layer up. 1 sweater that you take off after warm up and can hand it over to your race guardian, and another thin full sleeve pseudo sweater that serves more as a layer than anything else, gloves, hair wrap, a full sleeve shirt to wear under your regular run top.


Race day

  • Wake up to your silent alarm. 
  • Do a mini shower, use the deodorant balm.
  • Clip your hair. 
  • Have a banana, 1 tsp nutella, 1 tsp peanut butter and 100ml milk. 
  • Pin your bib to your leg, not to your shirt.
  • Stretch & warm up. Regular stretches at the venue. 
  • Possibly start with your group, if you have one at the race.

Post run

  • After run, do 15 minutes of cool down stretches, preferrably post the run-provided-physio. 
  • Have your protein powder. 
  • Change into fresh clothes and loose slippers, which will feel like a new life to your sore inflamed muscles.
  • Eat a carbo and protein heavy post-run breakfast. 
  • Drink lots of water and gatorade to rehydrate yourself which will in turn minimize your cravings and muscle cramps, headaches, fatigue, pretty much everything. 
  • Avoid alcohol at all costs. 
  • Have a cold shower (preferable). 
  • If it's a 10k  you can indulge in a post-run massage, not if it's a half marathon as your muscles will be too sore and it will only seem like more exercise to your muscles.


Have a fun run!

No comments:

Post a Comment