Friday 2 April 2010

Career diversity

I had once read, "There's no such thing as a fun job! Have you ever seen an advertisement that read 'Wanted Pizza eater', of course not! Work is supposed to stink and that comes by the basic definition of it!". Nonetheless, with an assignment less than a week left to cover, I am busy procrastinating  in my dream world, thinking of all the wonderful things! 


I wondered, if there were any fun jobs and I came across seemingly fun jobs like a Theme park employee, Hollywood wardrobe stylist, groomer, hairstylist, baker, wedding planner, publicist..but all these careers I could see myself getting tired out, by a max of 2 years and most probably strangling my clients. LOL. So I moved on...I searched the internet for fun courses. I thought to myself, what do I really adore and is a part of my daily life. I heard my soul speak almost howling, MUSIC! So I looked for courses in music.
I was fascinated by the number of courses focussing on rock music. I found Perth university, which offers you a MA in Rock Music Studies and Maryville University of St. Louis offering B.A. in Cultural Studies of Rock Music. But the most obnoxious degree of all requires a run up, and I will give it the much demanded honour.


UK is perhaps one of the most recession hit countries, its pound rate from a 82 INR went down to as low as 62 INR, had 10% more unemployed people in the age group 16-25 and raised its VAT from 15 to 17.5% in order to recover from this blizzard hit state. If the bigger picture goes down then obviously its sub-parts go down too, basic logic. Liverpool, in the light of "The Beatles" is considered to be where it all began! The town realises its potential and pools in the "ka-ching" like no other with the "Hard Day's Night Hotel", which is perhaps the Hard Rock Hotel, Las Vegas's English version. Enough said about the backdrop now the real run. 


Liverpool Hope Foundation offers a MA degree in "The Beatles, Popular Music and Society”. I understand you want to pool in cash but do it with some class. Do not mistake me, I am an ardent classic rock fan and it doesn't get more classic than "The Beatles", but what do you do with this degree? In what scenario is this degree relevant! There are already more than 8,000 books in the market! What novel stuff could these people write or stumble upon 40 years of disintegration of "The Beatles", 2 dead artists (John Lennon and George Harrison) and 8,000 books later? More hauntingly who could want a masters in Beatles?
I realise that in India we do not have such wide career options but at the end of the day, you need some direction; this isn't a summer camp, its a masters degree.


Funny how people will get pooled into anything. I hope people realise this money scam for a masters degree and decide better. 


[Hope you enjoyed a work of my critical self, as pointed out by someone; I suffer from Multiple personality disorder! :P ]

No comments:

Post a Comment